Thursday, November 21, 2013

How to Shop at Thrift Stores (Treasure Hunting)

Listed below are some of my tips for how to successfully navigate thrift stores.  Some of them may be a little quirky, and they certainly aren't rules, but they are generally what I go off of whenever I step into a thrift store.



1. It Can Be Whatever You Want it To Be.
 
Its a plant stand! It's a sculpture! Its my bedside table!!!
 
What is this? A sculpture? A plant stand? No no no, its my bedside table silly goose.  Things don't always have to be what they are supposed to be.  Don't be brought down by what someone else tells you an item should be.  It can be whatever you want it to be.  Also, don't count out holiday decorations.  Sometimes, I find "holiday decorations" that work with my everyday vibe, so they stay up year round. Sorry I'm not sorry.
 
2. Ugly Things Need Love Too.
 
My ugly might not be the same as your ugly.  My point is, don't let a hideous paint job scare you away.  Don't walk away from that funky frame just because the artwork inside is hideous. You can repaint it, you have the technology. Sometimes things are amazing BECAUSE they are ugly. Sometimes you need something ugly, if only because it makes you smile or starts a conversation (think tacky sweaters and bulldog puppies. so ugly, but you know you love them).  And that couch with the horrible fabric, well....
 
3. Be Careful When It Comes To Fabric.
 
I'm not saying DON'T buy anything upholstered at a thrift store, just be careful.  Maybe you want to get the couch reupholstered, or you own an industrial strength cleaner.
In which case, go for it!  My general rule is that as things get closer to your body, they should be more luxurious.  Buy those cheap drapes at the thrift store, and take that money you saved to get a high thread count sheet set.  But for goodness sake, don't even think about buying a mattress at Goodwill.

4. Missing Hardware?
Sometimes, people turn in furniture they just bought, disassembled, because it came without the needed hardware and they didn’t feel like shipping it back.  Guess what?  With a few calls and some sweet talking, most manufactures will ship you a new set of hardware for only a few dollars. I’ve done it before, and they usually just need the model number.  Sometimes you get lucky and it’s on the box, but otherwise you can usually find it with some light detective work and your handy friend Google.com.

5. Speaking of Google….
There have defiantly been times when I just KNEW an item was well made, but didn’t recognize the brand.  Googling the brand name will provide you with a wealth of information.  You can see what it’s selling for other places, look for reviews, and do some research.  Sometimes, you might have a major jackpot on your hands.  I’ve found nice, brand name china for pennies, Solid wood furniture for a few dollars, and quite a few designer brand items for FAR below market.  The reverse is also true.  Sometimes you think you’re about to get away with a big score, only to find out you are holding a hunk of junk that falls apart or contains lead or is haunted. 
Paid $50, found out its worth about $2,000. Score!
6. Mix High and Low.

As seen here, its amazing what a few nice pieces thrown into the mix does to the whole look.  Put your wedding pictures in those $1 frames. Set your table using wedding china and those wine glasses you got at the Goodwill.  Style your thrift store knick-knacks with a super-luxe candle. Actually, style everything with candles. White candles make everything look better.

7. Have A Shopping List In Mind.

I think one of the reasons I get so darn lucky at thrift stores is because I have a running mental list of what I am looking for.  Once we buy a new house, I'll probably have to start writing it down, but for now, its in my head at all times. Have a game plan.  I think some people shy away from thrift stores because they can be so OVERWHELMING.  Narrow it down. Know what you came for and focus there first.  Once you know which locations are more likely to have what you want, you'll be better able to plan, and less overwhelmed by options.  I usually focus on specifics first, but then I take a lap and check out the rest of the store.

8. Every Store Is Different.

Obviously.  What I mean is that typically, each store has one category (furniture, home goods, etc.) with a disproportionate number of treasures.  Not every time, but usually.  I have the one I go to when I'm looking for dishes, and one for home décor. Another one has an unreasonable number of picture frames.  One in town always has furniture. There is even one that always has leather jackets. 

9. Thrift Stores Have Sale Days.

You read that correctly. Example: Goodwill has sales, every week.  They mark a certain color tag down to $2 or something, and everything with that color tag cost $2. I had a problem with leather jackets a few years ago because I kept finding them for $2 and come on, I'm only human. This doesn't apply to furniture, although check your local store, because they have been known to do 50% sales on furniture in the spring. That's when I found that big wood farm table.  I also got a set of upholstered chairs for $1 (breaking my own rule there.... but that's what rules are for).

10. Fill 'er Up!

Fill your cart up. Put everything you're thinking about buying in your cart. I can't tell you the number of times I watched someone grab something I was considering. If you are thinking about buying something, toss it in your cart and give yourself some time to think. Then ask yourself some hard questions....
1. Do I have a place for this? - If you physically don't have a place for it, move on.  If you have no use for it, move on.  If I won't look right in your home, move on.
2. Am I willing to put in the work? - A lot of thrift store finds require a bit (lot) of TLC.  If you don't think you are willing to/can put in the time, move on.  Sure it would look amazing in your dining room if it was just cleaned and painted and repaired.... but if you can't/won't do those things, its just going to get sad and lonely sitting in your garage and give your husband/roommate/mom something to harass you about.
3. Are you excited about it? - Did you scream with you saw it? Did you throw your body across it to protect it before someone else could grab it? Did you slightly hyperventilate when you spotted it because you JUST CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING TO YOU? Did you call your friend/mom/significant other on the verge of tears because its just perfect? All these things have happened to me before.  Granted, I'm mildly insane, but still, if something excites you, just buy it.  You probably won't regret it, and worst case scenario, you donate it back for someone else to fall in love with.

11. BONUS - Know A Guy.

Or Girl. Or something. Know someone with a truck. Or who will support your ridiculous whims.  That table I bought was heavy as heck.  And I needed it.
I did what any reasonable person would do.  I bought it, ran home and got my husband's truck (lucky guy was out of town that week), loaded the 200lb table into the back, brought it home, and somehow got it into my house. BY MYSELF. And I struggle to open a pickle jar by myself.  As I mentioned before, I may be mental unstable when it comes to home décor.  Don't do what I did.  Enlist some help.  The guys at Goodwill laughed at me, and my husband totally freaked out (because he was concerned about me, not because I took his truck to pick up large, random furniture we didn't need).  But he sure loves that table!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment